Speri Amarone della Valpolicella DOCG Vigneto Monte Sant’Urbano 2012
In only the best years, Speri makes a single vineyard Amarone from this special, elevated site, the result being the estate’s top wine. The blend is 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella and 5% Corvinone.
- 3 Bicchieri - 3 glasses (highest score): Guida Vini D'Italia 2017 edition. Gambero Rosso. (This is Italy’s most sought after wine rating and a big deal).
- 5 Grappoli (highest score) Guida Bibenda 2017, Federazione Italiana Sommelier.
- Vino Slow (highest score) Guida Slow Wine 2017, Slow Food.
- 4 Viti (highest score), Guida Vitae 2017, Associazione Italiana Sommelier.
- Super Tre Stelle (highest score), I Vini di Veronelli 2017.
- Tra i “100 Vini da Conservare”- one of “The 100 Wines to keep" (highest score) Guida I Vini D’Italia 2017 Espresso.
“This complex and fragrant wine opens with dried violet, black plum and cooking spice aromas. The smooth, well-structured palate doles out blackberry jam, pipe tobacco, ripe black cherry, nutmeg and licorice flavors. Velvety tannins provide elegant support. Drink through 2027.” Wine Enthusiast, 94/100.
“Dark ruby with a pale rim. Penetrating red cherry, cinnamon, minerals and botanical herbs on the perfumed, captivating nose; this has a strong aromatic quality that I rarely find in Amarone. Then slightly more austere in the mouth, with strong herbal elements adding a savory component to the ripe but vibrant red fruit flavors. Finishes long with a firm tannic spine, young, chewy tannins, and hints of gunflint. A knockout Amarone and one of the early candidates for wine of the vintage in the difficult 2012 vintage.” 93 points, Ian D’Agata, Vinous by Galloni.