Henri Bonneau Reserve des Celestins 2012
This is Bonneau’s ‘grand vin’, his top wine, only released in good years. The wine is about 90% grenache with the remaining 10% made up of mourvèdre, counoise and vaccarèse. Most of the fruit comes from the Le Crau and Grand Pierre vineyards (sandy soils next to Chateau Rayas). It's a truly great wine that will stop you in your tracks.
“Henri Bonneau’s Réserve des Célestins is his greatest wine, and unequivocally the single greatest wine made in Châteauneuf du Pape today. In the old days it had its rivals, when Jacques Reynaud still was alive and making his magical elixirs at Château Rayas, or when Château de Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe, Château Fortia or Château la Nerthe were experiencing their salad days of greatest achievement. But today the Bonneau Réserve des Célestins sits alone at the summit, a lonely beacon of brilliant terroir and impeccable winemaking.”
John Gilman, A View From The Cellar.
“This defines old school, with savory detail and notes of roasted chestnut, fresh tobacco leaf, cedar and brick dust leading off, backed by a core of currant, cherry and plum fruit flavors that is lightly dried yet nonetheless fresh and racy in feel. Singed juniper and bay leaf hints score the finish. Likely to hold just like this for some time. Best from 2020 through 2040. 400 cases made.”
97 points, James Molesworth, Wine Spectator, Nov 2018.
“The 2012 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve des Célestins is gorgeous stuff and has everything you expect from this estate. Black currants, garrigue, beef blood and ground pepper all give way to a ripe, sexy and full-bodied beauty that has sweet tannin. I’m quite sure Henri would snub his nose and call the wine too easy, in his gregarious way, but count me as a fan.”
96 points, Jeb Dunnuck, Oct 2017.