Increasingly referred to as 'Baby Dry Red No.1', the humble Warramate Cabernet Merlot Malbec 2021 is made by Sarah Crowe in the Yarra Yering winery using the same skill, artisanal techniques and small custom-made tanks she uses to make the Dry Red No.1.
Sarah Crowe's awards include:
- James Halliday Winemaker of the Year 2017
- Gourmet Traveller WINE Winemaker of the Year 2021
- ASVO Winemaker of the Year 2022 (Australian Society of Viticulture & Oenology)
- Yarra Yering awarded Top Spot in Real Review's Top Wineries of Australia 2021
- Yarra Yering awarded Winery of the Year in James Halliday's Wine Companion Awards 2022
The wine is a blend of 60% cabernet sauvignon 25% merlot 15% malbec. It's 13.5% alcohol and is sealed with a screwcap.
"Black mulberries and blueberry fruits with some bramble lift, a medium-bodied classic claret style. The succulent jubey fruit layered palate with some aniseed spice complexity and lovely chalky tannins. There is a brightness to the acid energy that underscores a wine of fruit purity and finesse."